We are happy to announce that The National Genealogical Society Live 2021 event (online) will have a session on using nclandgrants.com, given by David McCorkle who created and runs this website. The presentation will be on Thursday May20 (Meck Dec Day!) at 2:30 PM. David will be available for around 10 minutes at the end of the presentation to answer your questions.
Here is a brief outline of the presentation:
- Introduction to North Carolina Land grants
- Information found in land grant documents
- Accessing the website
- Using the Subject Index to find grants by name, location, and more
- Viewing the Virtual Shuck with data and images
- Using the Query function for advanced searching
- Techniques for dealing with typos, misfiled grants, and other problems
- Researching Granville Grants
- Using other advanced features
- Future enhancements
The conference features 2 days of live events by nationally recognized speakers, and 85 on-demand presentations to choose from. For more information on the conference and how to register, please see https://conference.ngsgenealogy.org or download the brochure at https://conference.ngsgenealogy.org/wp-content/uploads/pdf/NGS-Program-Brochure.pdf
David will also be presenting an on-demand session titled Exhausted All the Deeds? Use Other Land Records to Uncover Even More Valuable Information. It will basically cover land records that are not deeds or land grants, such as processioning, ejectments, homestead exemptions, and foreclosures which can contain the information you’ve been searching for.