This website is my personal project to help those researching North Carolina history and genealogy. I now operate it under North Carolina Historical Records Online (NCRHO), a 501(c)(3) non-profit corporation which I formed along with several other genealogists, historians, and techies. In addition to this website, our mission is to provide public online access to images of original records and other relevant information useful to researching North Carolina history and genealogy. NCHRO is operated by a volunteer Board of Directors with no paid staff.
NC Historical Records Online
- HELP GET ALL THE SHUCK IMAGES ONLINE. Currently around 20% of the loose document images (shucks) are online. We have a project to get all the shuck images digitized – click to see how you can contribute.
- SEND RELATED DOCUMENTS/MAPS. If you have transcribed grant information such as the metes and bound in a file or using a product like Deedmapper, please send me an email and I can see if we can put it on the site. My plan is to make it easy for anyone to add “user content” to each grant, and it will help to see what type of content is out there. I’m especially interested in any regional plat maps people have made.
- SEND CORRECTIONS. If you find mistakes in the data, please let me know. Note that this is specifically for transcription errors where the name/info on the website does not match what was written in the original document. If a name is spelled “incorrectly” in the original document, I plan to eventually provide a way to add it as an alternate name.
- SEND SUGGESTIONS. Any and all suggestions related to this website such as usability, content, layout, etc. are appreciated. Don’t worry about hurting my feelings, everything will be taken as “constructive criticism”, plus I can always ignore it!
- MONETARY CONTRIBUTIONS are welcome, and will be used for digitizing land grant microfilm reels from SANC, paying for the costs of hosting this website, and other expenses incurred in keeping this website available and free. The website is operated by NC Historical Records Online, so any contributions should be made from that website. Be sure to select the button labeled NC Land Grants Website http://nchistoricalrecords.org/contribute