This website is my personal project to help those researching North Carolina history and genealogy. It’s a big project but unfortunately I still have a few more years before I can retire from my day job, so please considering helping out with one or more of these options. If you have any questions whatsoever please contact me at email@example.com
- HELP WITH COSTS. My intent has always been for this website to remain free for eveyone. I have no problems freely giving my time for this site, and expect nothing in return. However, there are real dollar costs associated with running this website. I decided at the start of this year (2020) to create a non-profit to run the website. The corporation has been officially formed as a North Carolina non-profit with the name NC Historical Records Online . We have applied for 501(c)(3) status with the IRS. Assuming that gets approved then contributions will be tax deductible retroactively. If you are interested in contributing, please do so via the organization website
- CONTRIBUTE DVDs FROM THE STATE ARCHIVES. If you have purchased DVDs of microfilm from the State Archives of NC that apply to this site, such as warrants, surveys, deeds, etc., please contact us about getting copies made to put on the site to share with the world. You can also make a contribution which we will use to purchase them. Click here for more information.
- SEND RELATED DOCUMENTS/MAPS. If you have transcribed grant information such as the metes and bound in a file or using a product like Deedmapper, please send me an email and I can see if we can put it on the site. My plan is to make it easy for anyone to add “user content” to each grant, and it will help to see what type of content is out there. I’m especially interested in any regional plat maps people have made.
- SEND CORRECTIONS. If you find mistakes in the data, please let me know. Note that this is specifically for transcription errors where the name/info on the website does not match what was written in the original document. If a name is spelled “incorrectly” in the original document, I plan to eventually provide a way to add it as an alternate name.
- SEND SUGGESTIONS. Any and all suggestions related to this website such as usability, content, layout, etc. are appreciated. Don’t worry about hurting my feelings, everything will be taken as “constructive criticism”, plus I can always ignore it!
- HELP WITH TRANSCRIPTONS AND INDEXING. In the near (hopefully!) future there will be a way for people to help index the information on this website. All the Patent Book pages and all the loose documents for Mecklenburg County were indexed by me, but there is way more on the site now than I can do alone. It takes about an hour to index a reel of loose documents, and for example Wilkes County has 33 reels! If you register on the site you can select the Volunteer checkbox if you are interested, and I’ll contact you when everything is ready.